Each episode of the show features Kevin and Grant, and often a special guest (or several of them). The podcast focuses on "outrage culture", usually of the American variety. The hosts will discuss several news stories which caused a sense of outrage in the general populace, usually mocking the subjects in question.
Despite the name and premise, Thought Cops is not really a political show whatsoever. While it would not be difficult to guess where two millennial stand-up comedians living in an urban area land on certain issues, the two decidedly do not use the show to debate. The intent is to dissect the topics in a comedic fashion and have a laugh.
Staples of the show include:
- Greeting the guest(s) from last week
- Presenting the show as taking place in the fictional "Neo-Chicago"
- Two Minutes of Hate, in which the hosts and guest will rant briefly about a pet peeve
- Beef Before Potatoes, where the hosts address something from a previous episode
- Grant saying "Aren't we all?" and Kevin saying "News to me!"
- Praising and/or consuming Jeppson's Malört, a disgusting liqueur
- Weekly voicemails from fans
The members of Thought Cops have made appearances on the show, both as a solo guest (Grant) and as a duo. There were plans to have Kevin as a solo guest at some point, but those plans seem to have stalled. Instead, Lars arranged for an episode with both Thought Cops and Zwick in February 2020.