The First Podcast is a comedy talk show hosted by Lars, Amir, James, and formerly Ali and Alexis, on YouTube and all major podcast audio platforms.
Show style and format
The First Podcast is a friendly and fast-paced talk show at its core, with a focus on comedy and an emphasis on discussing the process of content creation. Almost every episode of the show has a guest from the entertainment world, including voice actors, YouTubers, and musicians. Each episode is recorded live on the Discord server, and then eventually released to YouTube and audio platforms a few weeks later.
The show frequently makes use of surrealism, hyperbole, callbacks and intertextuality, pop culture references, and a variety of other tropes. Show creator Lars notes that one of the guiding principles of the show is the Rule of Funny, with regular attempts to amuse or confuse the listeners, as well as the guests. This is often exaggerated in the editing room. Additional gags are also added by Amir for the YouTube video release.
An average final released episode of The First Podcast is about 90 minutes, down from about 100-110 minutes of actual recording. Any material past the 90-minute mark of recording is reserved as bonus content for the patrons.
Episodes are released on a weekly basis, every Wednesday at 4:45pm PST.
- June 2018: Lars begins hosting duties on The Brain Podcast, with a clinical neuropsychologist as the talent.
- Early July 2018: Lars begins shopping around ideas to potential co-hosts on a new podcast after getting some creative inspiration from The Brain Podcast.
- Mid-July 2018: Lars recruits the first co-host Ali, a college friend of Lars who accidentally invited themself onto the show by misunderstanding Lars at one point and assuming he was asking them to co-host. Lars quickly realized this would be a perfect choice.
- Late July 2018: The first episode of the show is recorded, and Lars recruits the second co-host Alexis. The original format is purely discussion between hosts.
- August 2018: The first guest episode is released, with musician Pogo. Lars's partner on The Brain Podcast disappears, effectively canceling the show.
- September 2018: The show gets its first sponsor.
- October 2018: The show begins to focus more on guest episodes, as they are more marketable, more interesting, and more varied in terms of content.
- Late 2018: Alexis is put on indefinite hiatus. While remaining on staff, personal time constraints prevent her from committing to regular hosting duties. She still appears in the future on some episodes.
- November 2018: Lars and Ali informally workshop Chris as a potential new host or guest host. Eventually he becomes a guest liaison and assistant instead. Several other assistants are brought on board.
- December 2018: The guestless episode format is almost entirely abandoned to focus exclusively on guest interviews.
- January 2019: All assistants aside from Chris are let go due to inability to meet basic deadlines. Chris is re-positioned as a show ambassador, giving out business cards and flyers at conventions and shows. The Bros Night format is created.
- February 2019: An appearance by Kill Bill: the Rapper kickstarts an era of The First Podcast's now active Discord server, from this point on, several and eventually dozens or hundreds of people would start tuning in to live recordings of new episodes.
- April 2019: Many early episodes, no longer representative of the modern show, are removed in the great purge.
- June 2019: Tiege is brought on as a VIP Coordinator, having shown consistent interest in the show and near endless assistance to the hosts.
- July 2019: An episode with Sr Pelo marks the first time the show has had a three-figure live listen count.
- August 2019: The show starts making three figures of income per month.
- August 2020: Ali tells Lars they will be leaving the show.
- September 2020: Amir replaces Ali as co-host.
- October 2020: The podcast debuts on YouTube with episode 150.
- January 2021: James is brought on as the third co-host.
Status as "the first podcast ever"
The show is presented as being the first podcast to have ever been created, occurring in 1972. Lars intended this to be a one-off gag, choosing the name for the sake of silliness and not having any other great ideas. Ali decided to take the ball and run with it, fully embracing the gag in each early episode.
None of the hosts legitimately claim that this show is literally the first podcast. On guest appearances on other shows, however, it seems people are happy to play along with the joke. In a sense, the show might as well be the first podcast.
- August 18, 2018 - 100 Facebook followers
- August 19, 2018 - 1000 listens
- September 15, 2018 - First angry iTunes review
- September 17, 2018 - 2500 listens
- September 22, 2018 - 1000 Facebook followers
- October 14, 2018 - 5000 listens
- November 7, 2018 - Major politician announced next campaign on the show
- December 31, 2018 - 10,000 listens
- April 17, 2019 - 25,000 listens
- September 21, 2019 - 50,000 listens
- November 21, 2019 - 2000 members on the Discord server
- April 18, 2020 - 100,000 listens
- November 2, 2020 - 500 subscribers on YouTube
- November 8, 2020 - 1000 subscribers on YouTube
- November 17, 2020 - Podcast is monetized on YouTube
- December 11, 2020 - 2500 subscribers on YouTube
- December 12, 2020 - 200,000 listens
- Intro Song - Tiege "Welcome to The First Podcast" (alternate version as of 2020)
- Outro Song - Draape - Mallgrip
- Hosts' Microphones - Rode Podcaster, AT2020
- Recording Software - OBS, Audacity, Audition, Garage Band
- Editing Software - Audition, Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop
- Key Audition Effects - Noise Gate (Dynamic Processing), Normalize -3.0dB, Broadcast Compression
Places to Listen:
- Main Channel: https://audioboom.com/channels/4967532
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmO0Wvypdw3s17XLKGAwyyA
- Official Website: http://t1podcast.com
- RSS Feed: https://audioboom.com/channels/4967532.rss
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1b27ZsyYksU2qBeGFVaVtY
- Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-first-podcast/id1418825920?ls=1
- Google Podcasts: https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzQ5Njc1MzIucnNz
- Pocket Casts: https://playbeta.pocketcasts.com/web/podcasts/06628c50-782f-0136-7b8e-27f978dac4d
- Castbox: https://castbox.fm/ch/1414121
- Deezer: http://www.deezer.com/show/59448
- iHeartRadio: http://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-The-First-Podcast-31152674
- RadioPublic: https://radiopublic.com/the-first-podcast-GAej2P
- Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/brainpod/the-first-podcast
- TuneIn: http://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-First-Podcast-p1146675/
- Discord: http://discord.t1podcast.com
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/t1podcast
- Linktree: https://linktr.ee/t1podcast
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/t1podcast
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/t1podcast
- TV Tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Podcast/TheFirstPodcast
- Business Email: firstname.lastname@example.org