Show style and format Edit
The First Podcast is a friendly and fast-paced talk show at its core, with a focus on comedy. Almost every episode of the show has a guest from the entertainment world, including actors, YouTube content creators, and musicians.
The show frequently makes use of surrealism, hyperbole, callbacks and intertextuality, pop culture references, and a variety of other tropes. Show creator Lars notes that one of the guiding principles of the show is the Rule of Funny, with regular attempts to amuse or confuse the listeners, as well as the guests. This is often exaggerated in the editing room.
An average final released episode of The First Podcast is about 65 minutes, down from about 80 minutes of actual recording. Lars makes a point to edit out silence and boring segments whenever possible, so each hour of podcasting is tightly packed.
Lars has cited several other podcasts and content creators as being inspirational to him in creating The First Podcast, as well as inspiring some of its stylistic choices:
- He strongly enjoys the chaotic and freeform nature of The Official Podcast.
- He loves reviewing bad movies, much like I Hate Everything and (occasionally on) the Sardonicast.
- He draws a lot of inspiration from the bemusement and fast-paced back and forth dialogue on Hello Internet.
- He appreciates the surrealist touches on WeDon'tSuck by Kill Bill and Rav.
Release schedule Edit
A variety of release schedules were employed over the early history of the show, with a slower schedule being utilized the more popular the show became (and the more stress it caused Lars in the editing room).
At first, Lars worked tirelessly with Joe and Alexis to get out an initial dozen episodes over the course of about three weeks. The show then settled on a twice-weekly release format, with occasional extra episodes. In mid-2019, the show switched to releasing three episodes every two weeks.
In 2020, the show will be switching to a finalized weekly release. The hosts have stated that it will never be released less than once a week.
Fictional history Edit
The idea for the show was at first a twinkle in the eye of pop singer Kirsten Collins around 1965 to 1966, though the exact moment of inspiration is lost to antiquity. Upon explaining the idea of the show to Lars and Joe at a diner, the latter two stood up, saluted the American flag without a word for a good five minutes, then began a several year projects to launch the show.
In November of 1972, The First Podcast launched its inaugural episode, broadcasting from a diner in Truth or Consequences, NM. Unfortunately the limitations of the time, such as there being no internet to even theoretically host a podcast in the first place, forced them to go on a hiatus until 2018.
During this hiatus, Lars and Joe never slept; they merely waited at the diner, ordering pancakes day in and day out. They would keep themselves relatively maintained by dousing themselves with the day's leftover lemonade and using repurposed milkshake blender blades from the kitchen to shave their facial hair. The diner, unsurprisingly, did not sell many milkshakes in this era.
At first, the show was focused on Minecraft. Unfortunately, none of the hosts had ever played the game. This idea was quickly dropped on episode three in favor of a rap review show.
Today, The First Podcast is known as the premiere rap review show, where people go for any and all matters on rap reviews and the reviewing thereof. Despite this, the show ostensibly contains no material related to actual rap music review (outside of occasional short moments as a matter of fact, when discussion pertains to it). The fans must simply enjoy the show regardless of this.
Actual historical timeline Edit
- June 2018: Lars begins hosting duties on The Brain Podcast, with a clinical neuropsychologist as the talent.
- Early July 2018: Lars begins shopping around ideas to potential co-hosts on a new podcast after getting some creative inspiration from The Brain Podcast.
- Mid-July 2018: Lars recruits the first co-host Joe, a college friend of Lars who accidentally invited himself onto the show by misunderstanding Lars at one point and assuming he was asking him to co-host. Lars quickly realized this would be a perfect choice.
- Late July 2018: The first episode of the show is recorded, and Lars recruits the second co-host Alexis. The original format is purely discussion between hosts.
- August 2018: The first guest episode is released, with musician Pogo. Lars's partner on The Brain Podcast disappears, effectively canceling the show.
- September 2018: The show gets its first sponsor.
- October 2018: The show begins to focus more on guest episodes, as they are more marketable, more interesting, and more varied in terms of content.
- Late 2018: Alexis is put on indefinite hiatus. While remaining on staff, personal time constraints prevent her from committing to regular hosting duties. She still appears in the future on some episodes.
- November 2018: Lars and Joe informally workshop Chris as a potential new host or guest host. Eventually he becomes a guest liaison and assistant instead. Several other assistants are brought on board.
- December 2018: The guestless episode format is almost entirely abandoned to focus exclusively on guest interviews.
- January 2019: All assistants aside from Chris are let go due to inability to meet basic deadlines. Chris is re-positioned as a show ambassador, giving out business cards and flyers at conventions and shows. The Bros Night format is created.
- February 2019: An appearance by Kill Bill: the Rapper kickstarts an era of The First Podcast's now active Discord server, from this point on, several and eventually dozens of people would start tuning in to live recordings of new episodes.
- April 2019: Many early episodes, no longer representative of the modern show, are removed in the great purge.
- June 2019: Tiege is brought on as a VIP Coordinator, having shown consistent interest in the show and near endless assistance to the hosts.
- July 2019: An episode with Sr Pelo marks the first time the show has had a three-figure live listen count.
- August 2019: The show starts making three figures of income per month.
- August 2020: Joe tells Lars he will be leaving the show.
- September 2020: Amir replaces Joe as co-host.
Status as "the first podcast ever" EditThe show is presented as being the first podcast to have ever been created, occurring in 1972. Lars intended this to be a one-off gag, choosing the name for the sake of silliness and not having any other great ideas. Joe decided to take the ball and run with it, fully embracing the gag in each early episode.
None of the hosts legitimately claim that this show is literally the first podcast. On guest appearances on other shows, however, it seems people are happy to play along with the joke. In a sense, the show might as well be the first podcast.
- August 18, 2018 - 100 Facebook followers
- August 19, 2018 - 1000 listens
- September 15, 2018 - First angry iTunes review
- September 17, 2018 - 2500 listens
- September 22, 2018 - 1000 Facebook followers
- October 14, 2018 - 5000 listens
- November 7, 2018 - Major politician announced next campaign on the show
- December 7, 2018 - The show has a Wikipedia article about it
- December 31, 2018 - 10,000 listens
- April 17, 2019 - 25,000 listens
- September 21, 2019 - 50,000 listens
- November 21, 2019 - 2000 members on the Discord server
- April 18, 2020 - 100,000 listens
- Intro Song - Tiege "Welcome to The First Podcast"
- Outro Song - Same track (instrumental version)
- Hosts' Microphones - Rode Podcaster, AT2020
- Recording Software - OBS, Audacity, Audition, Garage Band
- Editing Software - Audition, Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop
- Key Audition Effects - Noise Gate (Dynamic Processing), Normalize -3.0dB, Broadcast Compression
External Links Edit
Places to Listen:
- Main Channel: https://audioboom.com/channels/4967532
- Official Website: http://t1podcast.com
- RSS Feed: https://audioboom.com/channels/4967532.rss
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1b27ZsyYksU2qBeGFVaVtY
- Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-first-podcast/id1418825920?ls=1
- Google Podcasts: https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzQ5Njc1MzIucnNz
- Pocket Casts: https://playbeta.pocketcasts.com/web/podcasts/06628c50-782f-0136-7b8e-27f978dac4d
- Castbox: https://castbox.fm/ch/1414121
- Deezer: http://www.deezer.com/show/59448
- iHeartRadio: http://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-The-First-Podcast-31152674
- RadioPublic: https://radiopublic.com/the-first-podcast-GAej2P
- Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/brainpod/the-first-podcast
- TuneIn: http://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-First-Podcast-p1146675/
- Discord: http://discord.t1podcast.com
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/t1podcast
- Linktree: https://linktr.ee/t1podcast
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/t1podcast
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/t1podcast
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/t1podcast
- TV Tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Podcast/TheFirstPodcast
- Business Email: firstname.lastname@example.org