A number of hypothetical questions have been asked on different episodes. It has become an informal segment in the sense that it is a prominent recurring feature on many episodes.
The hosts have found that the hypothetical questions are effective at humanizing the guests they have on, as well as adding some comedy to more serious episodes that need a "breather" segment at the end.
The vast majority of questions come directly from the psyche of Lars. Others are pulled from "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klosterman. Still others are gathered from random corners of the internet.
- If you were suddenly plopped into medieval Europe, and assuming you could speak the language, how would you make do?
- You have won a prize. The prize has two options, and you can choose either (but not both). The first option is a year in Europe with a monthly stipend of $2,000. The second option is ten minutes on the moon. Which option do you select?
- News comes out that a decent percentage of the population are actually androids. Humanoid robots. Doctors start offering free and simple tests to determine if the patient is one or not. Do you take the test?
- If Pokemon were real, which one would be the most devastating to human society?
- You have been accepted for an experiment: you must stay in a room with nothing but bed/toilet/food/water and no human contact for one month. If you succeed for the whole month without giving up, you get $5,000,000. Do you accept? And what are your coping strategies to avoid mental breakdown?
- If you suddenly came into the possession of 20 tons of Nutella what would you do?
- You are put into a room with a single button and told you may press it or walk away. If you press this button, all alcoholic beverages will immediately become delicious. As in, the actual alcohol part. This includes hard liquor such as vodka and rum. Considering the effects this would have on society, do you press the button or walk away?
Tim the Curator episode comedy incident Edit
On one episode of the show, guest Tim the Curator surprised the hosts by offering his own hypothetical questions. This incident is noted by Lars and Joe as being unusually amusing, with Lars jokingly offering Tim the job of "hypothetical questions guy" on the podcast.
The questions he asked were:
- If you lived in a society where the only long-term relationships were arranged marriages at 18 to Bug-type Pokemon?
- What would you do if your hands got sticky with honey every time you read?