A boomer is one of the following:
- A member of the Baby Boomer generation, a demographic cohort comprising approximately those born between 1945 and 1960, or
- Someone espousing a boomer mindset or stance, regardless of age.
Boomers have come into a fair amount of criticism in the late 2010s, as they began to utilize social media more openly. This exposed other generations to their opinions and attitudes, which, while far from universal, tended to share some common traits:
- Casual homophobia, transphobia, sexism, religious bigotry, ableism, and xenophobia
- An extremely condescending attitude toward all three of the newer generations (most of which they seemed to conflate into a single group of "millennials")
- A below-average willingness to critically examine their beliefs and have rational discussions with people seeking to challenge them
In 2019, the dismissive phrase "OK, Boomer" rose to prominence, intended as a conversation-terminating declaration that the individual has tried to use reason and logic to combat a boomer's views, but has run out of patience and is metaphorically throwing one's hands up in the air out of frustration.
Show relevance Edit
Balenaproductions noted that he had quit Facebook because of incessant boomer memes.
Sarah Z commented that the term "OK, Boomer" has potentially problematic connotations, but finds the phrase perfect after many fruitless attempts to engage with boomers in actual dialogue.